16 February 2009

Iron Chef Shannon

Last week, our church had an event called Mayfair Live!. It is an evening of entertainment in which several members of the church showcase their talents and this year, instead of dinner they had a dessert and coffee bar. We ended up not being able to go but I made several fancy desserts for it though and like the show "Iron Chef," I was given the secret ingredient of chocolate to be used to prepare my all my desserts with!!! Here are the desserts I made:


Chocolate Carmel Pecan Tartlets (the easiest to make).

It is just phyllo dough shells with caramel and chocolate in it and sprinkled with chopped pecans.

Chocolate Cinnamon Meringue Kisses

These cinnamon meringues and just sandwiched together with a dab of this chocolate mixture. The ones for the church were fine, however, I have never made meringues before and didnt know they absorb all the water in the air unless they are in an airtight container. I had planned to take some to my mom until I realized they turned to mush after a few hours on a plate in the kitchen. Foil isnt good enough to keep the air out :)

Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cups
(the picture below shows what they should have looked like)

*These were very hard and detailed to make but I think I have the bugs worked out for the next time. Just to give you a hint, it involved using little pieces of overhead projector transparencies to make the outer shell!!


And lastly, this is the Triple Chocolate Cake.

It is made of 3 layers of chocolate cake with chocolate ganache in between the layers and decorated with Necco candies on top.


Doesn't this look like a pattern I would do :) Concentric circles!


*As you can see, I often go overboard when I am given a task! But it was fun and I am glad they all turned out well and were delicious even though it was a lot of work! Join me next time at Kitchen Stadium for more adventures in cooking!

4 comments:

Shalynn said...

Those all look awesome! I bet you did love that pattern...did you use a ruler/protractor/compass combo hmmmm?!??! :)

Shannon said...

actually i implanted an edible microchip that connected to a satellite orbiting in space that gave me the exact coordinates to place the candy according to the lattitude and longitude of our house :)

Ryan and Katie said...

You so need your own TV show. All of it was yummy!

AM said...

Wow Shannon!! Your stuff looks amazing!