20 February 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Time to brag on my hubby a little! But not so much that it will make you sick and stuff :) Last Friday, Matt started off the Valentine's Day celebration early by surprising me with 2 dozen beautiful roses and chocolate sent to my work!


However, I think he just ordered the chocolate along with the flowers because he knows that (1) at least half of the candy is dark chocolate (which I dont like) and (2) I dont get around to eating chocolate candy very fast and he can just eat it all for me before I usually eat 1 piece! I still have Christmas chocolate that he probably steals and eats when I am not looking!! And later that evening, we went to dinner with my mom at Alfredo's in Moore and he had bought her some Valentine's flowers as well (double points)!!

Then on Saturday, we messed around here at the house and had planned to go to Pop's in Arcadia for lunch. We got there at 1:30 and there was an hour wait for just 2 people so we ended up getting some "pop" and leaving. Here are the crazy flavors we chose:
From left to right: Orange Cream Soda, Key Lime Soda, ChocoFizz, Honey Kola, Bug Barf, Root Beer, Cream Soda, another Choco Fizz and Pineapple Soda.

We actually tried the Choco Fizz a couple of weeks ago at Chocolate Decadence and it was delicious so we got a couple this time. It takes like liquid tootsie rolls! The Key Lime one was not so good, the Orange Cream Soda was really good and tastes like a push pop and the rootbeer was good too. The rest have yet to be opened. We will see how Bug Barf goes...it wasnt my selection if you can believe that :)

But since we were out of luck for lunch at Pop's, we ended up going to 501 cafe in Edmond. I havent been there in like 5 years and Matt has never been at all. It was as good as I remember and thankfully they still had the delicious Passion Fruit Tea. I love it more than regular tea but it is really expensive to buy online. Maybe I will ask for it for my birthday.

And for dinner, Matt made me some Mediterranean Chicken, Brussel Sprouts and I helped him make Southwest Egg Rolls (like the ones from Chili's but healthier). It was a really good dinner and I always enjoy it when he cooks for me! I had made another Chocolate Torte for us and to share with work for dessert which was really good but very rich.

It case you are wondering what the computer is doing at my place setting, it is the card Matt made for me. He always makes silly cards in Microsoft Paint for me for most occasions. I think they are so cute and love them more than getting a card from the store! Our printer was broken so he couldnt print this one out for me yet.

Here is a close up of it. He even included Lucy and her best friend dottie (the laser dot in the grass). And he had two toned colored grass which is starting to get a little fancy :) Maybe next time though he will draw some clothes. Lets keep it G-rated!!!

I didnt even take off my apron...what a loser!



Here is Jack...he looks really mean in this picture but it is just the flash. He always squints his eyes when the flash goes off and looks PO'd in all his pictures. He recently has started sitting by us at the table begging and meowing for food while we eat for dinner. Lucy doesnt even do that. It is totally backwards.

Lucy sat on her blanket and pouted about not getting attention during dinner.

And this is the torte we had for dessert. I only saved one piece for each of us because it had a million calories in it I am sure. It is made up of lady fingers or angel food cake on the bottom and outside, nutella for the bottom layer, then caramel & pecans, then a big section of chocolate cheesecake mousse stuff and topped with chocolate chunks and drizzled chocolate. It looks hard to make but it really isnt.

And lastly, here is Matt showing us his food baby. After Valentine's Day, it probably gained like 10 pounds :)

I hope everyone had a wonderful, relaxing Valentine's weekend with your spouses and families!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Shannon, that torte looks sooo awesome! Can I have the recipe? I have a collection of Nutella recipes (even though my favorite way to eat it is off a spoon!).

Shalynn said...

I love the blood...err...I mean red highlights in your hair on Matt's card...brilliant attention to detail! No but really...having seen some of his hand drawn stick figures...he for sure is getting much better!...and I think you need to display Jack's eyeball belly...its deserving of it's own post

Unknown said...

The torte looks amazing! You are so multi-talented!!