27 January 2009

Grandma quality numero dos...

If you will remember, a few months ago I blogged about one of my grandma qualities which was crocheting name doilies. Now on to another grandma-ish quality, knitting. My friend Joanne recently taught me, along with 14 other girls, how to knit one evening a few months ago. I really liked it and have been working on different types of knitting stitches to make my scarves more interesting as well as using stripes, etc. thanks to my family who got me some awesome knitting books for Christmas. Also, over Christmas break, I taught myself how to knit in-the-round which allows you to make several things, one of which is beanies. I made a practice beanie while I was in Houston which was really short but thats okay, it was just practice. It was somewhere in between the size of a beanie and the size of a yamaka :)

In October, Matt and I went to a bed and breakfast in Guthrie and he graciously accompanied me to a yarn store where he picked out some yarn for a beanie. I just now got around to making it for him last weekend. I have been putting it off for a while because I thought it would take forever, but it was only about a 4 hour total project. It turned out pretty good for my first real beanie. A few mistakes but probably only I can tell what they are :) I am already on to my second one to see if I can work out some of the bugs. Thanks Joanne for adding another grandma quality to my repertoire! You are my role model for craftiness!
In case you didnt know already, Matt's favorite color is yellow!

Matt always makes silly faces!


Lucy is modeling my practice beanie...it wasnt really that small, it just stayed on her head better that way!

7 comments:

Chellie said...

Hey, I have a pattern that allows you to make hats without knitting in the round.. it's how I make hats because I always forget how to knit in the round.

Ryan and Katie said...

Grandma Shannon you are too crafty for words :)

Shalynn said...

eeuummm...I sure do like that scarf you knitted me...but for some reason when I wear it my head is still cold...just sayin...

Debbie said...

The hat is beautiful! And I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a hat too! JK This is a great blog! You're as good at this as you are at anything you put your mind to.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget, my beanie colors are black and purple!! Thanks!! Ha Ha!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

Hey my sister-in-law has a yarn store in Norman, L&B Yarn Co, she's an amazing knitter and they offer a lot of classes on saturday, you should check out their website, there is a list of classes, or she'll show you how to do anything. If you go in ask for Leslie, tell her I sent you!