23 February 2010

Decadent Valentines Events

This year, Matt and I really lived it up around Valentines Day with all of our outings. The week before Valentines Day we went to Chocolate Decadence, an annual fund-raising event for historic Automobile Alley. This was our second year to go and I enjoyed it even more than last year! If you dont know how it works, here is a brief overview: There are 20-30 restaurants across the city that have a table with their chocolate goodies and everyone gets to eat as much of it as they want and vote on the best table at the end of the night. There are silent auctions and live auctions going on too but we never get into that :)

Since I am not quite the chocolate lover that Matt is, I tried harder to pace myself this year. We found The Mantle's booth which was serving lamb chops with a chocolate balsamic glaze (super delicious by the way) and La Luna's booth that served chicken mole as their "chocolate" dishes so I basically went back and forth between those booths and tried chocolate desserts of all kinds in between. I definately ate more than last year and felt like I needed to be rolled out to the car afterward.
I brought my camera but its always hard to take good pictures this way...we have never really mastered it. This old photographer man was making fun of me and took a real picture of us, we will see if it ends up in one of those OKC magazines.

At the beginning, there is usually a jazz trio and they were really good, then my least favorite part of the evening is when Jack and Ron make their appearance as the MC's. It would be so much better if they werent there but I guess a lot of people like them. I dont get it.
And lastly, they added a free photo booth to take silly pics, so we did. I dont think I have ever taken pictures in one of those things, they are really small. This is poor quality in more than one way :) but I had to take a picture of the picture since our scanner isnt cooperating!! But anyway, it was such a fun night and I am glad we went again. All you chocolate fans should look it up next year. It is usually the week before Valentines Day.


And on to our other Valentines celebration...

Matt and I celebrated the day before due to lots of stuff going on that week. I went to a knitting class all day and came back to some lovely roses and a sweet poem (classic Matthew style)!!
I always love his silly poems and cards that he makes. They always put me in a good mood and remind me of when we first started dating!!

And for dinner, we got to finally go to The Melting Pot and use our gift card. Luckily we made reservations weeks in advance because the time slots were slim pickings already. We got lobster tails, steak, chicken, ravioli, veggies and that was just the main course. There were 3 other courses including desert. We got the spinich artichoke dip for the app and the smores fondue for dessert. Delicious and incredibly filling. Again, I had to be rolled out of there.

After eating here, I realized that we could make stuff like this with our own fondue pot. I have never really thought about making the different fondues they make, we have only ever made plain chocolate fondue and not very often at that. So we definately have plans to use it in the near future.
And like a dummie, I brought my camera but it was missing the ever vital memory card so we couldnt take any pics. Fortunately, we had a super nice/sneaker server and she snuck the restaurant camera, took a picture of us and told her boss it was my bday so they would print it and put it in this frame. So here is my picture of the picture again.

I am so blessed to have my wonderful husband by my side forever and am reminded of how much he loves me even more this time of year when we get to do fun things like this. I love you Matty and happy Valentines Day!

4 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

cute poem! Someday I want to go to the Melting Pot too...I keep forgetting about it. Maybe we should get a group and go for just dessert sometime.

Matt and Shannon said...

yeah that would be good, it is definately more affordable when you dont do the whole shebang. but also, i thought it would be fun to have a fondue dinner party and get some people to bring pots and have different fondue's like the melting pot makes...what do you think about that?

Ted and Anne said...

Awwww, you guys are so cute! Glad you had a good V-Day together :) Loved Matt's poem!

Erin said...

I am going to have to remember that chocolate decadence thing - that sounds RIGHT up my alley. :) And I don't like Jack and Ron either - they just annoy me.