15 December 2009

Last weekend

This year, I have been a little bah-humbug about my Christmas decorating this year. We have been beyond busy and tired this last 6 months or so and it was already well into December before we had time to do any kind of decorating. But you know that I cant just do nothing at all.

Matt and I usually use our fake tree but since we didnt want to get a whole bunch or stuff down, we thought it would be fun to get a real tree this year. Last weekend we did just that. We went to Horn Seed Co. and got a pretty Noble Fir tree and a beautiful Christmas cactus. We only got down the bubble lights, the ornaments, the stockings, the tree skirt and had a decoration that Monica gave me at Thanksgiving. Which might sound like a regular amount of Christmas decor to most people but as my sister puts it, our house looks like "Christmas threw up in it" usually so this is pretty toned down! But I am glad we did some and I like our tree alot and it kind of feels like Christmas is actually here now even though it has been rather warm this year.

Our pretty Christmas tree

My Christmas cactus. It will have magenta flowers on it in a few weeks. Some are even close to blooming now.

And on Sunday Matt had a very impromptu performance at Penn Square Mall. Our band director from OC came to Mayfair on Sunday morning and asked Matt if he wanted to play in a trombone choir with him and the UCO trombone choir. So he did and I went to watch them. They did a great job! It have never heard so many trombones play together at once but it is really pretty. They even invited Matt to join them on Friday afternoons if he ever gets a chance to go!!

They played about 30 classic Christmas tunes including: "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" and "Feliz Navidad" as well :) I thought I got several videos to choose from to post but apparently I deleted them because I can only find one. This is "Carol of the Bells." It wasnt the best one they played together but it is the only one I had on the camera still...enjoy!



* A disclaimer of the video after I watched it just now is that Blogger.com sucks and it always screws up my video editing but it wont upload the spliced version so this is kind of in the middle of the song but oh well. I am tired of messing with their video upload system. It makes me mad everytime I try to put a video on here. You would think that with so many people that use this website that they would make it more user friendly...one can only hope I guess :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Matt is such a good player. This is pretty! Andthanks for posting apic of the Christmas cactus since I had no idea what threy looked like!

Chellie said...

I'll have to show this to Nate... he still has his trombone... he doesn't play for real these days.. he only harrasses Brownie with it occassionally