15 June 2009

Ben Folds Concert!

Thursday after Memorial Day Weekend, Matt and I met Shay in Tulsa for the Ben Folds Concert at Cains Ballroom! I guess you could say we are super fans because it was my 5th time and Matt's 6th time to see them in concert. This time, we were not able to get there early so we didnt get front row. We had to settle for like 5th row or something. Front row is the best because you have the bar to lean on when you are old and tire easily like us AND there are no supertall people in front of you that you have to keep looking around to get a small window of view. This was Shay's view for the waiting period before it started. This guy was like about 2 inches away and kept waving his arms like a crazy man until it started, then he was uninterested...kind of opposite of what it should be.But none-the-less, we had a good time. They played some new stuff plus some old stuff we have never heard live before. AND, this was the first time he has had a whole band when we have seen him live. His original band split some time ago and for a while he toured solo. Then he added his bass player and drummer and now he has two other guys to play auxillary percussion. Here are a few pics and videos from that night.

Ben always plays the piano standing up at least 90% of the concert. I dont know why he even has a bench there. (I am not refering to him by his first name because I think we are bff or something, just because it seems weird to keep saying Ben Folds all the time)

And this guy sporting the T-town shirt from El Guapos, Jared, is the bass player. I got his guitar pic at the last concert. Seeing as how I cant play guitar, it is kind of useless but adds more to my concert memorabilia!

The guy in the back is one of the auxillary percussionists and he also played the french horn. When not playing anything, he just stood there and didnt sing or anything. It was kind of weird.

There was a guy at the concert who had been to 60 Ben Folds concerts so they took a special request from him, "Stephen's Last Night In Town" (an oldie) and Ben played the drums at the end of the song.
And finally, they always play "Not The Same" at the end in which Ben conducts the whole crowd from atop his really expensive piano. Shay took a few videos that were really cool but I cant get them to work right now so I will post those if I can fix the problem.

No comments: